Sunday, January 20, 2013

My Excursion

Life is a journey.........most often a journey filled with many ups and downs, twists and turns.  I've begun to think of this life as a trip through this place that is my temporary home.  This trip has many different excursions; you know, those delightful little trips that you take while on a trip to see or experience a little of what the area has to offer.  Some of these excursions last for a day,some for a season, some for years, and others that span my entire lifetime.

For the past two years, I've been on what I thought was a little side trip through pediatric cancer.  Some days the truth of that is still hard to grasp......my precious daughter has cancer.  How is that even possible???  Kids aren't supposed to get cancer, and especially, my kid is not supposed to get cancer.  Pediatric cancer is something that should happen only in the St. Jude Hospital commercial;  it's something that happens to "them", not to "real" people, and certainly not to my daughter!
But then I look no further than my kitchen counter, and I see the evidence of reality in the bottles of chemo pills lined up and the medicine calendar waiting to be checked off.  And I am forced to acknowledge that this is my reality.  And with that present reality comes the realization that, for me, this is no little side trip that will soon come to an end; this is also my future.  This is a part of the world that I will never choose to leave.  This is a little gift.....a place to seek and to share the God I love......not just for this day, but for all the days I have left on my journey through this temporary home.  God has woven a love for these kids and their families into my heart, especially for their moms and their siblings. I don't know what that looks like in the future for me, and just know without a doubt that I won't ever be leaving this part of this world because the love it too deep and too wide to deminish this side of Heaven.

This is not the post that I set out to write this morning, but I guess it was the post that god had for me for this moment.  It's a gentle reminder of His call, met with a whisper from my heart......yes, Lord.
                                                                   
                                                            Amy

No comments:

Post a Comment